20 December 2007

A Different Kind of Gift

Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or just enjoy the company of your family & friends during the last month of the year, the idea of gift-giving isn't far from our minds during December.

The US National Retail Federation is expecting overall holiday shopping to top $470 billion in 2007 (or, $815 per consumer), an increase of 4% over 2006 despite rising gas prices and mortgage issues. At least $30bn of that spending is expected from online shopping; according to
Shop.org, 72 million Americans plan to shop via the computer this year.

What struck me was that while we're buying "stuff" to show people we care, in our increasingly busy world, maybe we're also making up for all the other times we haven't been there for them throughout the year. In addition, while I hate pushing through crowds in the mall, I realized I was isolating myself by shopping online, missing out on smiling at fellow shoppers and seeing joyful kids sitting on Santa's lap at the mall. No wonder the holidays have felt less pure as I've gotten older.


I wanted to get some of that magical sparkle back into my December so I brainstormed ways to show I care without maxing out the plastic. Looking back, I know I was touched when that super busy friend made time for a relaxed 1x1 dinner date. I loved the home-made chocolate chip cookies we got from our neighbor. I even enjoyed the old-fashioned hour-long phone call with my mother, when she listened to all of my latest updates.


So here's the not-so-secret I discovered: In this month of consumption and endless parties, some of the best memories I have, and the best gifts I have received, are actually the connection I have felt from someones time & attention. How can you show someone you care this season?


Quote of the Week:
" The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention." - Richard Moss

No comments: